Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One day down... with thousands to go.


A day I shall not soon forget... Getting through minute by minute.
6:35 a.m. Millie comes home from seminary
6:40 a.m. Me- "Rise and shine! First day of school Girls!"  
Gracie- "Really?  But I'm so tired Mama." (with a smirk on her cute little face)
6:45 a.m. Fixing German Whole Wheat Pancakes
7:15 a.m. Curling Hair and placing bows
7:25 a.m. Kevin kisses me goodbye and leaves to take Sophie to school
7:40 a.m. Driving Chloe and Gracie to school
7:52 a.m. Bells Rings and we enter the hallway & after thinking I was just fine & proud of myself for keeping it all together, Dean Ford asks, "How are we doing today?"
By 8:00 a.m. I'm a mess.  I can't process anything the teacher is saying.  Everything seems to be in slow motion.  I'm in tears.  I feel sticky and nauseous.  I think, 'WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME!  I can't speak. This is so strange.  Pull it together!  NOW!  In a really big way Stacy!  This is embarrassing!  No one else is misty! Snap out of it!'

After all the parents kiss their Kindergartners goodbye, I suppose I have to do the same but find myself wishing I could stay.

I couldn't make it outside fast enough, tears would be in streams & rivers.  I could feel it coming so fast.  I drove in two circles around the school building sobbing and wondering what in the world happened in only 1 1/2 hrs. 

My world seemingly tipped upside-down.  All I've done for the last 15 years is tote, carry, play, nap & eat with a little someone that I love with all my heart.  And I'm all alone.  Alone.

I CHANGED MY MIND!  I don't want to be alone!  Everyone come back!  Don't grow up.
But how can I feel that way, & I think of their sweet faces with so much to look forward too.

So I drive.  I'm not ready to go home.  Should I go to the breakfast out with friends? It has been planned for months now & with so much anticipation because of this momentous day?  No. Yes. No. Yes. I need to go.  Ok.  I'll go. 

I do need to see my dear friends.  Sisters in the gospel whom I love dearly.  These are some really special gals.  I was late.  They were all seated and I thought I could hide it. 

Their hugs eased my spirit.  Who knew I'd struggle like I have today, totally blind-sided me.

But I made it!  I braved coming home to the quiet.  I mean really quiet.  I kept thinking someone would pop out from their hiding spot and tell me it was all just a joke and no one had to go to school... ever.  

I watched the clock like a hawk... even tried taking a nap to pass the time.  No, it didn't work.  

When I picked them up from school it felt like it had been weeks since I'd seen them last.

I said to my friend Jen, "Tell me it gets easier each year!" 
She said, "Next Year?  You'll be fine in 2 weeks!"

I'm holding her to it!  I'll be ok.  I'll figure it out.  I have to, right?


Gracie and Anna waiting in line outside the doors.
With a little help from some very dear friends...   
Thanks Michelle, Jen W., Marci, Amy, Jen P., Adrienne!
p.s. Thanks Amy for ordering my hot water and lemon for me as I was in no position to speak!
Blubber Blubber.  
And thanks for the emails & phone calls to check up on me.
You mean the world to me.




5 comments:

Jen said...

We love you Stacy...so glad you decided to come to the breakfast!

Jill said...

No wonder I couldn't get a hold of you. I called but did leave a message. Your friend gave you some good advice. I loved reading your minute by minute outline of the first day of school. I will call you today. You better be home. You are such a blessing to your family. I have never met such a mom as you. You inspire me to be better and more creative. love ya

Jen said...

you've been tagged! See http://dougandjenw.blogspot.com/

Cindy said...

What a great mom you are. In no time you will be enjoying the freedom, but also glad to see the kids when they get home. Love the new background by the way.

smithtrek said...

I had tears in my eyes as I was reading this. I will be going through the same thing next year and I'm not looking forward to it. I have a really tough time cutting the apron strings. It helps to know I'm not alone.