Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful





I wanted this to be a special night.  For this school year with Millie in 10th grade, Sophie in 7th, Chloe in 4th and Gracie in Kindergarten I wanted them to know how beautiful I think they are as well as their Heavenly Father.  

I brought home the most unique colored rose for each of them & set it next to their dinner plate.  I made homemade tomato sauce with yellow squash from the garden, salmon and green salad.  Gracie helped me bake a  chocolate cake (with prunes instead of oil; but no-one believed me) & topped them with fresh raspberries. 

Side note: (As I was slaving away & nervous as all get out over this cake, Kevin simply said as he watched me... 

"What are you doing with those skewers?"  

I said, "To hold the two cakes together."  

He informed me it was unnecessary.  Then continued, "My mom made a double layer cake every week while growing up.  Trust me you don't need skewers. That's what I entered a number of times in the Mud Lake Fair and Rodeo!" 
 
"What!? You know how to make a DOUBLE LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE!?" 

I sat there and envisioned him as a youth making this decadent piece of food art.

Remember I'm not a baker, but I'm trying. A good cook, but not a baker. (More on my Wheat Bran Oatmeal Cookies I tried to make on Sunday that Kevin so graciously saved... at a later post.)

Anyway, I told the girls how much I loved them and hoped they knew that no matter what happens at school that they can always know that I will be waiting for them to come home and love them and think they are the most beautiful girls in the world. 

And then I cried a little.  

Kevin gave them each a Father's Blessing.  I'm so grateful for his compassion.  

It's an exciting time for everyone!

1 comment:

Jill said...

The cake - are you sure your family couldn't tell it was healthy? I thought you weren't a baker, but your cake looks beautiful. You look great!!! I love to see your family just doing their thing at home! You home just has such a great lovely feeling. I loved coming and staying last summer.