Friday, April 2, 2010

Sanibel & Captiva Islands

We stayed here at the Island Beach Club Condo

It was dark when we arrived. We ran to the beach first thing!

And look what we found!


The variety of birds seemed endless.
They were beautiful.

Millie & Stacy's pedicures prior to the vacation didn't seem to mind the sand!

Millie & Kevin

Sophie turned jumping the waves into a game!

The Islands were warm & green.
I cried when we arrived and cried when we left.

Gracie
(Notice the seagull in the picture?)

We rented a condo on the beach where we cooked & ate every meal together.
I felt so spoiled having everyone with me and no interruptions.

Millie & Sophie are great friends...
I love how "time away" solidifies not only their sisterhood; but their friendship as well.
The "Island Attitude" was relaxed & peaceful... very contagious.

Sanibel and Captiva Islands rank No. 3 in the world for shelling!
Kevin was addicted, waking up at 4:00 a.m. when the tide was low, he'd find all sorts of beautiful shells. It was like a big slow paced treasure hunt for him.

This beautiful pelican perstistently waited for food on the dock.
We thought it was hilarious.
The fisherman did not. He was annoyed as he'd shoo the very big bird away.
The pelicun was gutsy as he'd climb right into the boats!


The Sanibel Thriller!
There is something magical about seeing wildlife in its own habitat!
The dolphin pods were amazing!
Families of dolphins jumped in the wake of the boat just feet from us!


Wind blown and soaked from the ride proved we had a BLAST in the Gulf of Mexico!

I enjoyed cooking our own food in the condo & not eating out.
Millie provided us with a little Jack Johnson music as we'd prepare every meal.
(Notice her iPod?)
We'd eat and then run down to the beach or pool. It was the life.
Gracie continued to say, "Life IS good!"

Kevin and I found a couple bikes stashed in the condo garage.
With 25 miles of bike paths on the Islands,
it wasn't unusual to come across signs like this one,
"Alligator Habitat. Proceed with Caution"
Umm... there was no caution about it, we zipped through these particular
paths... laughing mostly.

I LOVED riding down to the local market and buying fresh food.
The fresh shrimp was so yummy!

I didn't even know signs like this one existed.

We had Family Home Evening on the beach and then watched the sunset.

Gracie

Chloe


Watching the sunset.
(Millie - Sophie - Stacy)

Kevins early morning finds allowed him some privy sights like this big conch shell alive and moving across the sand. The big red "tongue" is the body of this most interesting creature.

We had over 50lbs of shells to bring home!

The morning we left Kevin and I woke up early and watched the sunrise together.
It was breath-taking with the reflection of the rays on the water.
I love seeing & experiencing the world with my husband.
He is interesting and smart with so much to share.
I loved having him all to myself for a whole week!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Amazing pictures! Looks like you guys had a great time!!

Jan said...

What a blessing to have fun and peaceful family time. I feel relaxed just looking at the photos!! :0)